Search (877) 728-9653

What is the Role of a Licensed Bail Bondsman?

Schedule A Free Consultation
Complete The Form Below
An Attorney Will Contact You Within 24hrs

First Name: *
Last Name: *
Phone: *
Email: *
Questions/ Comments: *

What is the Role of a Licensed Bail Bondsman?

If you have been arrested and cannot afford the full bail or bond, many times you can go to a licensed bail bondsman. A licensed bondsman will secure your release by issuing a bond on your behalf. The bondsman has a special contract with the county or jurisdiction where you live. That contract allows him to appear on your behalf and post the bond on your stead.

Typically, his payment is 10% of the bond. For example, if the bond is $10,000 then you would pay a premium of $1,000 for the $10,000 bond. Additionally, you would be required to provide proof or collateral for the remaining 90%. The payment of 10% is the bail bondsman’s fee.

At the conclusion of the case, if you do not have that 10% returned, that is the amount that is earned. In other cases where you post a full cash bond the full amount, for example, $10,000 would be returned to you. The benefit of using a bondsman is that you use his collateral to affect your release. At Carlson, Meissner, Hart, and Hayslett, when your claim has been denied, we can help.


The criminal defense attorneys at Carlson, Meissner, Hart & Hayslett, P.A. are fighting for our clients rights in criminal defense cases in ClearwaterTampaBradentonSpring Hill, Pinellas, Pasco, New Port Richey, Manatee, Hillsborough and Hernando Counties in Florida.

Se Habla Español.

J. Kevin Hayslett

Kevin Hayslett, Esq.

J. Kevin Hayslettis an attorney practicing in the areas of Criminal Defense and DUI Defense from the Clearwater office and Hillsborough office. Kevin is an avid tennis player and is currently nationally rated in singles and doubles. You can follow Kevin onGoogle+, oron Radio IO on his show, "Kevin's Law". Kevin can also be heard on the Sirius Satellite Radio show during the "Ask the Lawyer" segment, which can be heard the first Thursday of every month.